A sun oven is a fantastic low-cost, ecologically friendly alternative to cooking with wood, gas, charcoal, and other fuels that dump loads of carbon into the atmosphere. But how do you get started?
This article features a comprehensive overview of the sun oven, its health benefits, how the technology works, and the best places to buy a sun oven.
Health Benefits of a Sun Oven
The climate is changing rapidly each day with new theories about global warming, with stark evidence of our Earth heating up. In recent years, every industry has taken part in "going green" efforts by way of fuel efficient cars, new energy saving light bulbs, and reusable shopping bags. Energy efficiency is now the forefront to many business models. Solar power is being utilized as a clean fuel source for electronics, cars, homes, and on large-scale buildings. Not only is this a great economic source, but solar power is now being utilized for cooking. Having hundreds of benefits for the environment, solar cooking is also a healthier alternative to traditional methods. Here's why a sun ovenhelps you eat healthier.
Low Carbon Emissions
No Harmful Chemicals
Disinfecting & Pasteurizing Methods
The Science of the Sun Oven: Facts About the Sun
We all know that the Sun is powerful, but do we truly comprehend just how powerful it is? Here are some of the most mind-blowing facts about the sun and how it makes a sun oven work.
In terms of the solar system, our star, the sun, is categorized as a moderate sized star about half way through it’s life cycle. The Sun’s gravitational force holds the planets within our solar system and within it’s orbit. On Earth, we benefit from the life-giving energy it emits. The sheer power that the sun radiates is incredible; here are some other facts about the sun to help us better understand its true power.
Age: 4.6 Billion Years
Type: Yellow Dwarf
Diameter: 1,392,684 km
Mass: 1,989,100,000,000,000,000,000 Billion kg
- The sun is so large that approximately 1 Million Earth’s can fit inside of it!
- The sun is so large that it contains about 99.86% of all the mass of the entire solar system!
- You’ll need plenty of sunscreen if you’re visiting the Sun! The surface temperature is roughly 5,500 degrees Celsius (9,941 degrees Fahrenheit)! The sun’s corona, or atmosphere, is a couple million degrees hotter than that! An average summer day on earth is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The Sun is made up of 23% Helium, 75% Hydrogen and 2% heavier elements and consumes 4 million tons of hydrogen every second.
- Once the Sun burns out of Hydrogen fuel it will then burn helium.
- The Earth is so far from the Sun that light from the sun (traveling at the speed of light) takes approximately 8 minutes to reach Earth. So if the sun suddenly stopped shining, it would take a full 8 minutes for people on Earth to be affected!
- The Sun is approximately half way through its life of 9.2 Billion Years, based on comparable G2 stars
- Magnetic Polarity reverses every 11 years on the sun, thus its north magnetic pole becomes a south pole, and vice versa.
- To match the energy generated by the Sun one would have to detonate 100,000,000,000 tons of dynamite every second.
- A person weighing 150 pounds on Earth would weigh 4,200 pounds on the sun because the sun’s gravity is 28 times that of Earth!!
- An area of the Sun’s surface, the size of a postage stamp, shines with the power of 1,500,000 candles!
- 25.4 earth days is the average time it takes the sun to rotate on its axis
- If the Earth were the size of a quarter, the sun would be as large as a 9 foot ball and would be located a football field distance from Earth.
- 27 Million C degrees is the temperature of the core of the earth or 15 Million C degrees.
- If a drop sized matter from the core of the Sun is placed on the surface of the Earth, no living organism will survive for a distance of 150 km from that drop.
- To power the Sun with all of Earth's energy resources; coal, oil, gas, and wood would only keep the Sun burning for a few days.
- One could power 64 100 watt light bulbs with just one square centimeter of the Sun's surface.
Incredible Solar Power
When you realize the true power of the sun, it makes you realize the importance of it, given that it powers almost all of our energy sources, be it ancient fossilized sunlight in the form of hydrocarbons, current carbohydrates being created by plants and consumed by animals or wind created by temperature variation created from the sun! It really helps us understand the task at hand of moving beyond finite fossil fuels and learning how to power our world off of our current solar gain.
Sun Ovens and a Fuel-Free Frontier
A sun oven is more than a fun way to cook food. Rather, it's a conceptually different way to think about the relationship between fuel and preparing a meal. The GoSun team loves the sun oven because we love solar energy. It’s clean, bright, and free! It’s also the reason we haven’t yet frozen solid on the planet we call home. Even though solar energy is getting cheaper by the day, we’re just beginning to understand the full potential of the Sun.
That’s why we love the sun oven and are working to spread the gospel of the Fuel-Free Frontier. There’s just no other option: fossil fuels are dirty, and they’re damaging our planet, our health, and our fellow species. Hopefully one day solar energy use will be just as ubiquitous as dirty fuels are today.That day couldn’t come soon enough.
Accepting the Facts
As we move further into this century, we’re going to have to cope with the realities of climate change:
A Warming Climate
Things are just getting warmer and warmer (A Japanese research team concluded that year 2014 was the hottest on record.) With a warming climate comes melting ice caps, rising sea levels, and the death of species who can’t adapt.
It’s no longer a question that humans are causing this warming through our unrelenting release of CO2 in the atmosphere. The latest IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) Report came to a consensus that humans unquestionably have altered: surface temperature on every continent (save for maybe Antarctica), the water cycle, and ocean temperatures. Yet despite all of the scientific fact surrounding anthropogenic climate change and a myriad of reports lamenting said climate change, we are still releasing carbon into the atmosphere at an alarming rate.
Our Threatened Family
Climate change is not only a threat to billions of humans, it is also a threat to the thousands of species who live on Earth with us. In the last 500 years alone, we’ve wiped a thousand species off the face of the Earth. A swath of biodiversity extremely unique and precious, gone forever.
We owe it as a species to make sure that the other species of this world live a fulfilling and safe life. Yet, it is estimated that a 33% of amphibian species, 12% of bird species, 21% of fish species, 50% of primate species, 20% of all mammal species, 68% of all plant species, and 21% of all reptile species are at risk for extinction. We must take action to ensure the safety of all species. Remember: extinction is forever.
Humans have never been good at owning their mistakes, that’s why in the face of all the facts, there are still deniers of climate change. Yet, climate change is real! It is causing us to question the way we live, the way we work, and the way we survive. You can subvert the dominant paradigm. You can make this better. Be empowered. Get a sun ovenand be a pioneer on the Fuel-Free Frontier!